Hakuna Matata
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hakuna Matata

It's A Problem Free, Philosophy...

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Religion Thread

Go down 
+2
Simba
Spyder Fox
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Ray
Admin
Ray

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2006-07-09

Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Jul - 21:09

the whole no sex before marrage I agree with because personally I find sex as a bonding between two people that you want to share both your life and body with your mate Marrage is a symbolic aspect of doing this I beleave
Back to top Go down
-

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2006-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Jul - 21:55

LightFang wrote:
Fundie? Nobody will tell me what a fundamentalist is! I don't get it...what's the difference? Somebody's got to tell me =P

Well..."fundie", obviously, is a disparaging version of "fundamentalist".

The denotation, at least according to my Webster's, would be a member of a movement in Protestant Christianity that stressed the literal interpretation of the Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teachings.

The connotation, when someone talks about a fundie, at least to my understanding, is that the Christian in question insists on the literal truth of their beliefs, claims that these are derived from Biblical interpretation, and, through this insistence both presents views that seem strikingly offensive or inhumane to outside viewers. In addition, "fundies" are often viewed as being very pushy about their views, to the point of shoving it down other people's throats.

A good (if somewhat extreme) example would be, say, the founding writers of the Christian Reconstructionist movement, which advocated that strict, Christian law ought to be instituted as the basis of American government...including capital punishment for such things as adultery, blasphemy, and homosexuality.

As for sex before marriage...I suppose the whole "can't marry" thing makes it kind of hard for me to oppose it. *chuckles* I do think that one ought to be certain that both oneself and one's partner are emotionally ready for such stuff...but I don't think that a set of vows, be it before God or State, changes anything. If you were commited to each other before, it's just a ritual, and, if you weren't, it's just a sham. For that matter, I'm not necessarily against promiscuity...I'm both far too health-conscious and far too much of a romantic type, myself, to engage in it, but there are some people who will just never be ready to settle down. And, if they play safe and honest with their partners, that's fine with me.

Question on sex and marriage: from a Christian perspective, if one is married before one's nation's law but not married in a Christian fashion, is sex between the couple a sin, still? Are a married, atheist couple still "living in sin" since they're not married before God? If so, does this apply for the other, non-Christian, Abrahamic religions?
Back to top Go down
Azlan
IRC Overlord
Azlan

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2006-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon 17 Jul - 22:14

LeftHandedPen wrote:
Question on sex and marriage: from a Christian perspective, if one is married before one's nation's law but not married in a Christian fashion, is sex between the couple a sin, still? Are a married, atheist couple still "living in sin" since they're not married before God? If so, does this apply for the other, non-Christian, Abrahamic religions

Let me try to answer this the best way that I can =P

On getting married in a Christian fashion: Probably so, but I don't know. I'll have to ask...

On the married atheists: Technically, they're still living in sin because they've not accepted God.

For other non-Christian religions: Yes, it'll apply.
Back to top Go down
Ray
Admin
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Jul - 9:36

its hard to distinguish a reigion as a non christain one though I mean lets look at it this way.

Back in the bc era the major religions that were there was Jewdism and Muslem (I know there were others like buddism and such but these two were the two major)

When jeasus was born he was jewish as was Mary and Joseph (I think that was the spelling)

Jeasus preformed miricales and was soon labeled a savior and the son of god by a vast majority.

Alot of the jews were still skeptical They beleaved he was a great man who died for a noble cause but they didn't beleave he was truely the son of god.

Chritianity never did took hold untill After the crusafiction and his ressurection. So in a tecnicality one can argue Christianity was bron from jewdism.

Catholoism was born when one man dicosvered that the christain church has sinned and this man posted the sins onto the church doors he soon went on to form the roman catholic religion a branch off christianity as a way to help people seek forgiveness for their sins.

The one thing I dislike is that in most catholoc communities that i used top live in I was known as the "Basterd child" all because my father ran out on my mom and me ><
Back to top Go down
Azlan
IRC Overlord
Azlan

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2006-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Jul - 14:25

Okay, let's get this straight =P

Christianity is like updated Judaism, ya know? Jesus *basically* said "Screw the old laws!!1one~"

So I'll agree that Christianity had its roots in Judaism. =P

About Catholicism...I'll have to do more research =P
Back to top Go down
-

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2006-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Jul - 16:24

Ray wrote:
Back in the bc era the major religions that were there was Jewdism and Muslem (I know there were others like buddism and such but these two were the two major)

Noo...Islam is a younger religion than Christianity. Muhammad wasn't even born until around 570 C.E. Now, the polytheistic basis on which he founded some of Islam's traditions already existed, but there's a big difference between that and Islam. Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism are the three of the five, modern, major religions that date from B.C.E. times.

Ray wrote:
Catholoism was born when one man dicosvered that the christain church has sinned and this man posted the sins onto the church doors he soon went on to form the roman catholic religion a branch off christianity as a way to help people seek forgiveness for their sins.

You've got your Catholics and Protestants backwards. The Catholic Church was the only Christian church, excepting the break with the Eastern Orthodox branch, up through the Renaissance, when a lot of the popes began to act very...ah...un-papal. That, along with actions that some of the more religious types found offensive, like the sale of indulgences (essentially get-out-of-Purgatory-free cards), the sale of positions in the Church, and the tendency for the unconcerned and powerful in the Church to have multiple positions, meaning they'd leave unqualified fill-ins to do their job.

Eventually, after a lot of bustle about the need for Reform, Martin Luther posted his Ninety-Five Theses on a church door. Eventually, he was excommunicated and served as the driving force of the formation of Protestantism out of Catholicism.
Back to top Go down
Ray
Admin
Ray

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 Jul - 16:53

shoot your right O_O I just researched it as well thinking i misspelled something @_@
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion Thread   Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Religion Thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3