Hakuna Matata
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hakuna Matata

It's A Problem Free, Philosophy...

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I've been approached about a new Server...

Go down 
+7
Chiclet Cheetah
Myoti
Tehthul
Elderwyn
Mugiwara
Kirith
Simba
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should We Stay or Should We go?
Yesh Lets Go
I've been approached about a new Server... Vote_lcap53%I've been approached about a new Server... Vote_rcap
 53% [ 9 ]
Naw..this place is fine.
I've been approached about a new Server... Vote_lcap47%I've been approached about a new Server... Vote_rcap
 47% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Simba
The Lion KING
Simba

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2006-07-06

I've been approached about a new Server... Empty
PostSubject: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:35

Elderwyn told me he wanted to give me another set of boards...So I ask you..should we stay here or move to the State of the Art Forums? 0.O
Back to top Go down
https://simbastudio55.forumotion.com
Kirith

Kirith

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2006-12-24

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:37

Meh, why change what works, you know? If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
Back to top Go down
Mugiwara
Fire Logia

Number of posts : 652

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:44

Kirith wrote:
Meh, why change what works, you know? If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

QFT.
Back to top Go down
Elderwyn

Elderwyn

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-01-04

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:46

I only made the offer because like FTT, half this board is in french, and have an installation of phpBB completely under simba's control might mean better skins, funky plugins/mods and less ads. That and an easier URL to remember. That and it wouldn't be findable under Google Search

And I have a variety of different board scripts, but I'm moving over to phpBB right now.

But the idea was thought up before half the internets was already over here. So I offered to put one up to play with and then do what you like with.

Last edited by on Fri 5 Jan - 17:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://crinklepedia.com
Mugiwara
Fire Logia

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:49

If you DO make another forum, I'll join and be happy, but if you don't, I'll stay and be happy. I'm kinda neutral.
Back to top Go down
Elderwyn

Elderwyn

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:49

edited my above post for great justice. Oh well, like crinklepedia. jsut an idea I thought would help. Take it or leave it.
Back to top Go down
Simba
The Lion KING
Simba

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:50

Elderwyn wrote:
I only made the offer because like FTT, half this board is in french, and have an installation of phpBB completely under simba's control might mean better skins, funky plugins/mods and less ads. That and an easier URL to remember. That and it wouldn't be findable under Google Search

And I have a variety of different board scripts, but I'm moving over to phpBB right now.

But the idea was thought up before half the internets was already over here. So I offered to put one up to play with and then do what you like with.

oooh..we could hide better..whaddaya guys think?
Back to top Go down
Simba
The Lion KING
Simba

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 17:51

Elderwyn wrote:
edited my above post for great justice. Oh well, like crinklepedia. jsut an idea I thought would help. Take it or leave it.

I like it..which Is why I voted yesh. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kirith

Kirith

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 18:00

I dunno....in my experience with Phpbb, which is pretty big, as I've modded on a few, and admined on several of my own small ones, which sadly aren't around anymore, I've grown not to like it because the Phpbb servers are somewhat unstable, and have been known to go down randomly for days, or, in one case with one forum I was on, for weeks. I personally prefer Invisionfree myself, but meh, this forum seems to work nicely, so I figure why change what already works well enough for the purposes at hand?
Back to top Go down
Mugiwara
Fire Logia

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 18:02

Okay, after thinking a bit, I deicided it's a pretty good idea.

I think it would be cool to have three differant 'stats' other users could add to, or take away from.

Brains
Lolz
Rep

If you post something smart, users could add to your brains score. If you post something dumb, users can take away from it.

If you post something funny, you can earn more Lolz. If you post something miserable and depressing, or fall on your face trying to make a joke, you may lose Lolz.

If you're a nice, likable guy, you can earn Rep. If you're a douche-twinky, you may lose Rep.

The only problem is finding out ways to reward users with high scores. Special privileges, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Elderwyn

Elderwyn

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 18:19

Well TBDL have a reputation system where you can reward users for good posts and take away points for being an ass.

And for the record, if you look at the bottom of this page, this forum runs on phpBB. So does FTT.

Invision is nice, just expensive to run on your own server.
Back to top Go down
Kirith

Kirith

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 18:40

Runs on Phpbb, yea, but it isn't on the actual phpbb servers, which is most likely why I've never seen FTT, or this site crash.
Back to top Go down
Elderwyn

Elderwyn

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 19:17

I'm not an actual phpBB server. And I've seen FTT go down countless times.

My uptime is down to the fact that I pay my hosting comapny money to host whatever I please.
Back to top Go down
Kirith

Kirith

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 19:18

Oh, well, than I don't have a problem with it. But still, I'm still on the whole "Why fix what works" idea....
Back to top Go down
Tehthul

Tehthul

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2006-11-04

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 20:14

Change is good sometimes, if its better than why not.
Back to top Go down
Simba
The Lion KING
Simba

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptyFri 5 Jan - 20:28

Mind you of course..this board would remain open...but closed off membershipwise and stuff like that simply...but if the other board goes down..this will be reopened and stuff..
Back to top Go down
Myoti
Kopa (Simba's Son..)
Myoti

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2006-08-29

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 9:18

Quote :
That and it wouldn't be findable under Google Search
That in itself makes it sound like a good idea (no worries about SA, eh? =p ).

And Mugi, though the 'rep' system often sounds like a good idea, most sites I've been to have it abused, what with people running around with "RAIZE MY REP PLZ!!!!11lol" and such, it rarely winds up working the way it should. =/
Back to top Go down
Elderwyn

Elderwyn

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 10:16

Depends if people are responsible enough, can you vouch you're responsible enough to not abuse a reputation system?

http://www.tbdl.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2712

You beg, you get shot down.
Back to top Go down
Chiclet Cheetah

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-12-19

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 11:12

Mugiwara wrote:
Okay, after thinking a bit, I deicided it's a pretty good idea.

I think it would be cool to have three differant 'stats' other users could add to, or take away from.

Brains
Lolz
Rep

If you post something smart, users could add to your brains score. If you post something dumb, users can take away from it.

If you post something funny, you can earn more Lolz. If you post something miserable and depressing, or fall on your face trying to make a joke, you may lose Lolz.

If you're a nice, likable guy, you can earn Rep. If you're a douche-twinky, you may lose Rep.

The only problem is finding out ways to reward users with high scores. Special privileges, maybe?

I think the e-penis you get from it would be it's own reward.
Back to top Go down
Mugiwara
Fire Logia

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 11:16

[quote="Chiclet Cheetah"

I think the e-penis you get from it would be it's own reward.[/quote]

Funny you should say that. On the board I used to visit, your rank was shown as a penis, and as you gain more rep, it grows longer.
Back to top Go down
Wedge

Wedge

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 16:09

Mugiwara wrote:
[quote="Chiclet Cheetah"

I think the e-penis you get from it would be it's own reward.

Funny you should say that. On the board I used to visit, your rank was shown as a penis, and as you gain more rep, it grows longer.[/quote]

Why does this not surprise me?

I really couldn't care either way, so do what you want, but don't mess with my mod status.
Back to top Go down
TS_Chris

TS_Chris

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2006-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySat 6 Jan - 16:50

The King approves of this new forum.
Back to top Go down
Azlan
IRC Overlord
Azlan

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2006-07-13

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySun 7 Jan - 16:03

Going is good. Having phpBB code fully customized is good. Greater control is good, plus, we can make it so users can have their own custom titles! Among other things.
Back to top Go down
Simba
The Lion KING
Simba

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySun 7 Jan - 19:04

Azlan wrote:
Going is good. Having phpBB code fully customized is good. Greater control is good, plus, we can make it so users can have their own custom titles! Among other things.

I wanna do it..the decision will be made on Thursday of the week.
Back to top Go down
Alex

Alex

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... EmptySun 7 Jan - 19:37

Well since I got pushed into posting my recommendation *playful glare at Simba* I'll put my two cents up and an intro later.

While phpbb is a good software (I've used it, modded it skinned it you name it over the last 4 years up until 2004) Its getting to be a bit of something of the past if you want a decent set of forums that are bugg free and actually have tech support if you have a problem with them.

2 years ago I was introduced to Invision Power Board its a better piece of forum software out there and one of the less buggy ones on the Market, for various projects I have two lifetime licenses neither of which I'm using anymore because I went Vbulliten. (heh my own choice their identical but I liked the feel of vbulliten more for what I was using the forums for.)

I invite everyone to look at: www.invisionboard.com and have a look around and then see how they like it. I have to have a look and see if you can actually back this software up on the free server but there is a good chance you wouldn't even loose any posts.

Snow Smile

P.S Invision is a pay for software but no charge to you guys Simba knows the terms and has agreed on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've been approached about a new Server...   I've been approached about a new Server... Empty

Back to top Go down

I've been approached about a new Server...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hakuna Matata :: Main-
Jump to: